Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Rend Your Hearts

So a few months ago I learned the meaning of rending your heart. It was at my brother's bible study at the full gospel church. So apparently back in the day men would tear (rend) their clothes as an act or symbol of repentance. But sometimes this act was just that. An act. In Joel 2:13 it says

Rend your heart
and not your garments.
Return to the LORD your God,
for he is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and abounding in love,
and he relents from sending calamity.

This simply means that our Father wants our hearts. Not works or actions, but our entire heart.
Now I'm just being honest but I know there are times that my entire heart does not belong to my Lord. But I found that self-examination, examination of scripture (and applying it to my life), prayer and fellowship brings revelation and a change of heart. A change where you realise that only God is good. And an intense desire to desire and seek and experience Him more.

Anyway, I hope that made sense. I absolutely love this song by Jimmy Needham. I listen to it over and over and over...

1 comment:

  1. I love this posting Natasha! It really speaks to my heart. Let me share something with you that is really awesome. No more than 10 or 15 minutes ago I was meditating on rendering ones heart to God. The Pastor also spoke about this at a mens retreat that I attended today. Psalm 116:12 says, "What shall I render to the LORD for all His benefits toward me?". Romans 12:1,2 wonderfully highlights the true heart response - that we are to present Him our bodies, mind, and will. Yes, our entire heart! Amen. My beloved sister, LORD bless you!

    ReplyDelete